UIL Band Competition:
– All 3 High Schools Bands received First-Division ratings at Region UIL Marching Contest in 2015, and, in 2016, all 9 competing bands from the 3 HS campuses received First-Division ratings at the Region Concert and Sight Reading Contest.
– In 2014-15, McKinney Boyd Band advanced to the UIL 6A Area Marching Contest; In 2015-16, McKinney HS and McKinney North Bands advanced to the UIL 5A State Marching Contest; and, in 2016-17, McKinney Boyd and McKinney HS Bands placed 6th & 7th, respectively, at the UIL 6A Area-Level Marching Contest, with the top 5 bands from the area advancing to state.
– In 2016, all 10 competing bands from the 5 Middle Schools received First-Division ratings at Region UIL Concert and Sight Reading Contest.
UIL One Act Play:
– All 3 High Schools had All-Star Cast award winners. Additional awards included 1 Best Actress, 1 Outstanding Crew, 1 Outstanding Technician and 4 Honorable Mentions. McKinney Boyd advanced to Bi-District.
– The Middle Schools received 1 Best Actor Award, 4 All-Star Casts, 6 All-Star Cast Honorable Mentions, 3 Outstanding Technicians, 1 Best Technical Crew, 1st and 3rd Place in One-Act and a 2nd Place Overall.
TMEA All-Region Middle School Band, Choir, Orchestra:
– 95 Middle School Band students made the Region 25 All-Region Band.
– 70 Middle School Choir students made the Region 25 All-Region Choir.
– 38 Middle School Orchestra students made the Region 25 All-Region Orchestra.
TMEA All-Region High School Band, Choir, Orchestra:
– 124 High School Band students made the Region 25 All-Region Band.
– 87 high school choir students made the Region 25 All-Region Choir.
– 30 high school orchestra students made the Region 25 All-Region Orchestra.
TMEA Area C Competition (HS only)
– 51 band students advanced to Area.
– 11 choir students advanced to Area.
– 16 orchestra students advanced to Area.
TMEA All-State Musicians
– 17 All-State Band students.
– 5 All-State Choir students.
– 5 All-State Orchestra students.
– 27 All-State musicians from MISD – a new record!
Texas VASE Art Competition
– In 2017, 263 High School Art students participated in VASE; 186 students received “Superior” ratings; 11 students advance to the state contest, with 8 of the 11 receiving Gold Medals and 1 receiving a Gold Seal Award.
– In 2017, 129 Middle School Art students participated in Junior VASE; 93 students received “Superior” ratings; 8 students qualified for state-level recognition
– High School Band awards include Superior Division ratings at Peak Music Festival, Alamo Showcase of Music, Big “D” Classic, South Coast Music Festival. Numerous scholarship winners.
– High School Theatre awards include numerous awards at the Texas State Thespian Festival, DSM High School Music Theatre Awards, and the International Thespian Festival.
– McKinney Boyd High School Orchestra performed at the world famous Midwest Band and Orchestra Clinic in Chicago in December 2014.
– McKinney High Honors Band placed 9th in the State TMEA Recording Contest.
– McKinney North Non-Varsity Band receives a Citation of Excellence Award from The Foundation for Music Education.
– McKinney North Honors Band placed 13th in the State TMEA Recording Contest.– McKinney Boyd wins 3 awards at the Scholastic Art and Writing Competition.
– McKinney High Art student wins a national award from The VSA Yo Soy Art Award for children with disabilities.
– McKinney High Choir celebrated 100 years with a very special performance including alumni of MHS.
– McKinney Boyd Bailadoras win 3 National Grand Champion Titles at the 2015 Showtime International Competition in Galveston.
– McKinney High Marquettes take home 3 awards from Nationals. Performed for the United Way at AT&T Stadium. Celebrate their 50th Anniversary with a special performance honoring MHS alumni and community.
– McKinney Northstars take home top awards at both the Haltom City and Grapevine DFW Regional Contests.
– McKinney Boyd Cheerleaders take home top awards at the Universal Cheerleaders Association Cheer Camp. 8 chosen as All-American Cheerleaders.
– Faubion Middle School Band was runner-up in the TMEA CC Honor Band Competition, and the band performed at the Midwest Band and Orchestra Clinic in Chicago in December 2012.
– Faubion Middle School Full Orchestra performed for the 2015 TMEA Music Conference in San Antonio and for the Midwest Band and Orchestra Clinic in December 2016. The orchestra is also a recipient of a Mark of Excellence Award from The Foundation for Music Education.
– Cockrill Middle School Band placed in the TMEA Recording Contest, and the band performed at the Midwest Band and Orchestra Clinic in Chicago in December 2016. The band also won a Nation Merit Support Music Award from the NAMM Foundation and is a recipient of a Mark of Excellence Award from The Foundation for Music Education.
– Dowell Middle School art students took part in the International Art Exchange Program with 35 students from the Children’s Art School in Kumertau, Russia.
– Eddins Elementary School Select Choir performed for the TMEA Music Conference in San Antonio in 2011 and 2015.
– McKinney ISD Elementary Fifth-Grade Select Choirs participate in the city-wide “Choral Celebration,” a two-night event featuring the top fifth-grade singers across the district
– Elementary Art students participate in a Rotating Art Show eve5ry fall, with top pieces chosen to hang in the halls at the MISD District office. Students also celebrate Youth Art Month with an art contest, followed by an art show featuring the top art pieces in the district. The art is on display at the MISD District office in the spring.
All the MISD school arts programs give back to their communities by participating in charity events and volunteering their time in our community. Many groups host food and clothing donations and give of their time with tutoring, mentoring and community service projects.